Wednesday 12 October 2011

A new beginning

"Anyone could run a marathon if they really wanted to even you"  I was told this by a friend who has run 4 of them and was in full flight for this years Melbourne Marathon before doing an ACL and needing a full knee reconstruction.  He has already declared that next years Melbourne Marathon will be his comeback race.  He has somehow talked me into joining him in running it.

Lets get something straight from the beginning.  I am not a runner.  I have started running a little in the last 6 months or so.  I can now run about 6k's at about 6-7 min k's.  I have a Cliff Young style shuffle.  I am overweight.  I drink way to much and I am very lazy with everything not just exercise.

I am not sure how I am going to do this marathon thing but I am going to give it a go.  I have a few plans to keep me motivated.  I am going to get lots of people to sponsor me and donate all the money to charity.  I really don't want to let a charity down.  I am also doing this blog in the hope that this will make me keep running.  I am also going to put some motivational pictures up on my wall and in my car.  (any suggestions on pictures would be much appreciated)

My biggest concern is that I will not have enough time to train.  I work shift work am married and have two kids a 6 year old boy and 4 year old girl.  I am not sure I can find an extra 5-10 hours a week to train.  I guess I will give up TV and sleep time to do it.

My overriding desire to run it is because it is on my bucket list and I put way too many things off thinking there will be time later in life well you never know whats around the corner so I am going to do it today.

Tomorrow is my first training run.  8k's I hope I make it.

Happy Running from The Lazy Runner
 
Vital Stats:
Weight: 86kgs
Motivation: As high as it ever will be
KM's this week: 0
Injury/pain of the week: Nothing as yet

Find me on twitter @st_vince
Follow my runs at runkeeper username Luke S.


1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I know a few great athletes who started where you are today. One minute they are overweight parents, next you know they are doing Ironman in under 10 hours. You really can do anything you want, you just need to want it enough. From one very lazy runner to another, who has just completed my first marathon, I say, GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN it's a helluva journey!

    ReplyDelete